Tag Archives: The Mask Project

So Much to Do–So Little Time

I have been busy completing so many different tasks, that the task of updating my blog got pushed to the back burner. The end of my teaching year is quickly approaching which means there has been piles of grading, student artwork to frame for our school  district show, and lesson plans in which to make final adjustments.  

Last I blogged, I included images of the mask I created for The Denver Hospice fundraiser. My mask is now up for auction on The Denver Hospice website and is on display at the Cherry Creek Shopping Mall in Denver. I have one bid so far, but I would love more!

I also participated in the Colorado Art Education Association’s Art Show that was on Santa Fe Drive in Denver for the month of April. Found #3 was on display along with many spectacular works of art created by art educators throughout the state of Colorado. Being that this was a juried show with many submissions, I was excited my painting was selected.

Finally, I am gearing up for another solo exhibition that opens this Friday, May 4th at The Brush and Comb in the Tennyson Street Art District in Denver. The reception is from 6-9 and I look forward to a wonderful evening!

Advertisements

Mask and You Shall Receive

I decided to be more clever with my post titles and I am pretty proud of this one, hah!

I completed my mask for The Mask Project.  Towards the end of the day yesterday I was not pleased with how my mask was progressing. I based my initial design off of my most recent Found paintings. The white background was not adding the type of visual impact that it had created for the other paintings such as Found #3. I spent quite some time thinking about how to improve the situation and I realized that my problem was size related. Because the surface area had been so greatly reduced to fit on the mask, I had to reduce the size of the recycled paint strip. On a 24″x30″ canvas like Found #3, the white background helps the viewer focus on the large area of  colors. But the mask was much smaller and the white seemed too powerful. In order to pull this composition together I needed to accentuate the colors in the paint strip by incorporating them into the background. I still need to add another coat of varnish tomorrow and I would like to get a photograph of the mask in better light. Below is a slideshow showing the progression:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

New Year: New Artistic Adventures

Last weekend I spent a day in my studio getting it “production ready.”  Since my husband put in drywall in the studio and I took down my last show, my space was looking more like a large storage unit than a functional studio. I decided if I got everything organized one weekend, then I could run out there whenever I wanted to start producing work again.  Today was the first day of making art in my studio in 2012!

Studio organized and ready for production!

I started a few projects today.  I am creating a mask for The Mask Project which is a benefit for The Denver Hospice.  All masks are due March 2nd.  I decided to use the Found series as inspiration and I have applied the first two layers to the mask.  Being that it is the middle of winter, my layers of paint are not drying as quickly as I would like.  I expect that I will not be able to add more layers to the mask until tomorrow.

I also started working on a two small canvases.  As I wrote in my last post, I would like more time to experiment.  I revert back to working on small canvases when trying something new. If the endeavor happens to take a turn for the worse, then I have not wasted too much time or materials.  There have been no wrong turns yet and I am excited about my progress.  I cut a hole into each canvas and inserted a circular piece of cardboard. I have been questioned several times about how I find such a thing. So here is the secret: I save the cardboard role that is left over once masking or duct tape is used completely. 🙂  I then turned to my piles of plastic mesh and selected a pattern that I have not worked with before.  The progress of adding mesh to this canvas is shown below:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.