Tag Archives: recycled material

First Friday Artwalk June 7

Please join me for snacks, wine, and my mixed media paintings tomorrow evening, June 7th from 6-10pm.  My work is on display at the Brush and Comb on Tennyson Street in Denver!

Click HERE to RSVP to this event.

In addition to the ten paintings I created a few weeks ago, I created four more new works to show.  I created two more paintings in the Found series.  These paintings are smaller than the other paintings in the series, but they are meant to be displayed together vertically.  I hope you will join me tomorrow evening to see these highly textured paintings in person!

Found #7

Found #7

Found #8

Found #8

Advertisements

Found #6

Found #6

Found #6 was the last painting I created before hanging my most recent show. As I continue to create paintings in the Found series, I discover more compositional possibilities. Prior to Found #6, I used a single sheet of the mixed paint in the foreground (to learn more about this process visit these previous posts Found and Found #3). When I peeled this new sheet of paint off of my mixing table, I was displeased with the placement of the colors and textural intricacies. There were numerous beautiful areas within the sheet but they were surrounded by dull areas. With a deadline just days away, I decided to tear the sheet up and piece it back together. This is the first time I took control of the unpredictability of these paint sheets. An artistic control-freak by nature, I enjoyed that I could leave some aspects of these paintings to chance. Found #6 may have changed the game because it may be one of the strongest yet in the series. It is amazing what a little time crunch can do for ingenuity and discovery!

Mask and You Shall Receive

I decided to be more clever with my post titles and I am pretty proud of this one, hah!

I completed my mask for The Mask Project.  Towards the end of the day yesterday I was not pleased with how my mask was progressing. I based my initial design off of my most recent Found paintings. The white background was not adding the type of visual impact that it had created for the other paintings such as Found #3. I spent quite some time thinking about how to improve the situation and I realized that my problem was size related. Because the surface area had been so greatly reduced to fit on the mask, I had to reduce the size of the recycled paint strip. On a 24″x30″ canvas like Found #3, the white background helps the viewer focus on the large area of  colors. But the mask was much smaller and the white seemed too powerful. In order to pull this composition together I needed to accentuate the colors in the paint strip by incorporating them into the background. I still need to add another coat of varnish tomorrow and I would like to get a photograph of the mask in better light. Below is a slideshow showing the progression:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

New Year: New Artistic Adventures

Last weekend I spent a day in my studio getting it “production ready.”  Since my husband put in drywall in the studio and I took down my last show, my space was looking more like a large storage unit than a functional studio. I decided if I got everything organized one weekend, then I could run out there whenever I wanted to start producing work again.  Today was the first day of making art in my studio in 2012!

Studio organized and ready for production!

I started a few projects today.  I am creating a mask for The Mask Project which is a benefit for The Denver Hospice.  All masks are due March 2nd.  I decided to use the Found series as inspiration and I have applied the first two layers to the mask.  Being that it is the middle of winter, my layers of paint are not drying as quickly as I would like.  I expect that I will not be able to add more layers to the mask until tomorrow.

I also started working on a two small canvases.  As I wrote in my last post, I would like more time to experiment.  I revert back to working on small canvases when trying something new. If the endeavor happens to take a turn for the worse, then I have not wasted too much time or materials.  There have been no wrong turns yet and I am excited about my progress.  I cut a hole into each canvas and inserted a circular piece of cardboard. I have been questioned several times about how I find such a thing. So here is the secret: I save the cardboard role that is left over once masking or duct tape is used completely. 🙂  I then turned to my piles of plastic mesh and selected a pattern that I have not worked with before.  The progress of adding mesh to this canvas is shown below:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Reflection XXXII

 

Reflection XXXII

As summer turned to fall, I could not ignore the autumn colors against an evening sky just before the sun sets behind the mountains. I have not used this color scheme in a Reflection painting  before and I might try a similar painting with a few adjustments in the future.

In the News!

Local Color Magazine did a story about my artwork and teaching profession. It is a really nice two page color article written by Rebecca Moses. She did a great job of capturing my artistic process and passion for what I do. Local Color Magazine kindly gave me permission to share the article on my blog. If the print is too small, click on the image to enlarge it.

Local Color Article

Local Color Article